Eastern Fox Snake Losing Ground in Amherstburg, Ontario

By Dan Laing/Special to the Echo

AMHERSTBURG — The Eastern Fox Snake continues to lose ground right here in Amherstburg even though it is listed as threatened under the Ontario Endangered Species Act of 2007.

It is now against the law to interfere with the well being of these colorful reptiles. Legally one can neither harm them nor move them out of their natural habitat. Certainly the provincial government appears to be serious about protecting our vanishing wildlife. Just look at the expensive 13 km snake fence constructed around the proposed bridge site in Windsor. If St. Patrick was still around to rid Essex County of all of its' snakes he would be facing some hefty fines and a long prison term under the present provincial laws.

All that being said, our highways, farm operations, lawnmowers and intolerance continue to account for hundreds of needless reptile deaths each year. So our local population continues to diminish at a quicker pace than any policy statement can rectify.

I've heard many excuses from individuals trying to justify the killing of a large harmless fox snake with either with a rock, a BB gun, or a shovel. Often they will tell me that they thought it was a rattler since it was vibrating it's tail or it had a copper head. Well if you are caught by the province killing a fox snake, the fine can run up to $25,000 while the fine for dispatching the shy Massasauga Rattlesnake, which is considered rare and endangered starts at $100,000. So if you think you have a rattlesnake on your property and you want rid of it you had better call a conservation officer to have them move it!

My first encounter with one of these snakes was almost 60 years ago. I heard some squealing coming from a wood pile in my Meme's farm yard and I went to investigate. A plump snake had just killed a large gray rat and it had started the laborious task of swallowing it hole. My Meme came running with her hoe and chopped up both of these hapless creatures into many small writhing bloody bits. I was horrified and it seemed to me that the old snake was just doing its job of keeping a lid on the growing rodent population.

A couple of years ago, I was surveying reptiles and amphibians for the conservation authority around the Big Creek and I saw a town employee back up his tractor to within two feet of the marsh and start up his brush cutter right on top of an eastern fox snake that was sunning itself there!

Education and personnel experience over the years has taught me that we have nothing to fear from most of our native snakes. I do draw the line at water snakes. I like photographing them but I will never handle a big one because they are certain to bite!

 I know many people are instinctively afraid of snakes but we aren't living in darkest Africa, or India, or Australia, so it would be nice if we could just let our local snakes and turtles go about their business without interference. If you think you have witnessed a violation of the Species at Risk Act you can start an investigation by calling 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

Labels: ,